04/03/2025
Chinese warships off WA coast
By AIDAN SMITH (Independent Journalist)
THE Australian Defence Force is continuing to monitor a flotilla of Chinese warships that have made an unprecedented journey from the Tasman Sea, across the Great Australia Bight to the west coast of the country.
At 0800 on Tuesday, March 4, the ADF reported that “the People's Liberation Army-Navy (PLA-N) Task Group 107, comprised of the Jiangkai-class frigate Hengyang, the Renhai-class Cruiser Zunyi, and the Fuchi-class replenishment vessel Weishanhu, was operating 170 nautical miles (314 kilometres) south-southwest of Perth”.
“Defence continues to monitor the Task Group while it remains in the vicinity of Australia’s maritime approaches,” the ADF said.
The Chinese Task Group has reportedly been shadowed by two ANZAC Class frigates, Australia’s HMAS Stuart (III) and New Zealand’s HMNZS Te KAHA, while also monitored by surveillance aircraft.
The Task Group 107 caused a stir on both sides of the Tasman last week when it was discovered by a Virgin Australia commercial flight to have been conducting live fire exercises in the Tasman Sea, 300 nautical miles off the coast of Australia - rousing debate about the state and readiness of the ADF.
The pilot reported having to divert around the area - while alerting Australian authorities of the incident.
The Australian Government has played down the significance of the incident and said China was in its legal rights to undertake freedom of navigation patrols, but was watching the Task Group closely.
A debate raged about whether the government knew about the presence of Chinese warships prior to the incident, or if it was taken by surprise. Even NZ authorities openly discussed the need to boost military spending to be able to counter any aggression by a foreign power in the region.
Before heading west the Task Group entered Australia’s Exclusive Economic Zone about 160 nautical miles (296 kilometres) east of Hobart.
Defence said at the time that it was monitoring the Task Group, while it remained in the vicinity of Australia’s maritime approaches, and was “coordinating closely with the New Zealand Defence Force”.
“Australia expects all militaries operating in the region to engage transparently, maintain the highest standards of safety and professionalism, and we encourage all states to maintain open communication to ensure their actions support regional security and stability,” the ADF said.
“We respect the right of all states under international law to exercise freedom of navigation and overflight in international waters and airspace, just as we expect others to respect our right to do the same.”
Chinese officials have rejected the suggestion that its navy didn't warn Australia of their activities and accused the Federal Government of hyping up the incident.
- Australia’s HMAS Stuart (III) and New Zealand’s HMNZS Te KAHA
HMAS Stuart (III) was commissioned in 2002 and has a long-range capability of air defence, surface and undersea warfare, surveillance, reconnaissance and interdiction.
HMNZS Te KAHA is one of two NZ frigates in operation, patrolling its sealanes. It was first commissioned in 1997, and in 2020 underwent significant upgrades to its surveillance, combat and self-defence capabilities to match current and potential future threats.
“The upgrade included a new combat management system, new radars, electronic detection and other above water sensors, the self-defence missile system, decoys against missiles and torpedoes, and an upgrade to the hull-mounted sonar,” the NZ Navy website states.